Full Specifications & Features
$2,099.00(AUD inc. GST)
Full Specifications & Features
- Sensor Type
- 1.0-type (13.2mm x 8.8mm) Exmor RS CMOS sensor, aspect ratio 3:2
- Number of Pixels (Effective)
- Approx. 20.1 megapixels
- Number of Pixels (total)
- Approx. 20.1 megapixels
- Lens type
- ZEISS® Vario-Sonnar T* Lens, 18 elements in 13 groups (6 aspheric elements including AA lens)
- F-number (Maximum Aperture)
- Focal length
- Focus Range (From the Front of the Lens)
- AF (W: Approx. 3cm to infinity, T: Approx.72cm to infinity, f=250mm (35mm format equivalent): Approx. 140cm to infinity)
- Optical Zoom
- Clear Image Zoom (Still Image)
- 20M Approx. 50x / 10M Approx. 70x / 5M Approx. 100x / VGA Approx. 380x
- Clear Image Zoom (Movie)
- 4K: Approx. 37.5x;HD: Approx. 50x
- Filter Diameter
- Digital zoom
- Approx. 100x (including Optical Zoom)
- Focal Length (f=) 35mm format equivalent
- [Still image 3:2] f=24-600mm [Still image 16:9] f=26-630mm [Still image 1:1] f=31-760mm [Still image 4:3] f=27-650mm [Movie 16:9] f=26-630mm (SteadyShot Standard), f=27-890mm (SteadyShot Active), f=30-910mm(SteadyShot Inteligent Active), [Movie 4K 16:9] f=28-680mm (SteadyShot Standard), [HFR 960fps] f=42-990mm (Quality Priority), f=60-1390mm (Shoot Time Priority), [HFR 480 fps] f=28-680mm (Quality Priority), f=42-990mm (Shoot Time Priority), [HFR 240 fps] f=26-630mm (Quality Priority), f=28-680mm (Shoot Time Priority)
- Iris diaphragm
- 9 blades
- Screen Type
- 7.5cm (3.0 type) (4:3) / 1,228,800 dots / Xtra Fine / TFT LCD
- Brightness Control
- Manual (5 steps) / Sunny Weather mode
- Adjustable Angle
- Up by approx. 107degrees, down by approx. 42degrees
- Display Selector (Finder/Lcd)
- Auto / EVF / Monitor
- MS Assist Magnification
- Screen Type/Number of Dots
- 0.39-type electronic viewfinder (XGA OLED), 2,359,296 dots
- Field Coverage
- Approx. 0.70x with 50mm lens. at infinity, -1m-1(diopter) (35mm equiv.)
- Eye Point
- Approx. 23mm from the eyepiece lens, 21.5mm from the eyepiece frame at -1m-1(CIPA standard)
- Dioptre Adjustment
- -4.0 to +3.0m-1
- Brightness Control
- Auto, Manual (5 steps)
- [Still Image] Optical, [Movie] Intelligent Active Mode, Optical type with electronic compensation (Anti Rolling type)
- Focus Mode
- Single-shot AF (AF-S) / Continuous AF (AF-C) / Direct Manual Focus (DMF) / Manual Focus
- Focus Area
- Wide / Center / Flexible Spot (S/M/L) / Expanded Flexible Spot / Lock-on AF (Wide/Center/Flexible Spot (S/M/L) / Expanded Flexible Spot)
- Light Metering Mode
- Multi Pattern / Center Weighted / Spot
- Exposure Compensation
- +/- 3.0 EV, 1/3 EV step
- ISO Sensitivity (Still Image)(Recommended Exposure Index)
- ISO 100-12800 (1/3 step) (expandable to ISO 64/80), Auto (ISO 100-12800, selectable with upper/lower limit) , Multi-Frame NR: ISO100-25600 (1 EV step), Auto (ISO 100-128000)
- ISO Sensitivity (Movie)
- ISO 100-12800 equivalent (1/3step), AUTO (ISO 100-12800 equivalent, selectable lower limit and upper limit)
- White Balance Modes
- Auto / Daylight / Shade / Cloudy / Incandescent / Fluor.: Warm White / Fluor.: Cool White / Fluor.: Day White / Fluor.: Daylight / Flash / C.Temp. / Filter / Custom
- WB Micro Adjustment
- Yes (G7 to M7 (57 steps), A7 to B7 (29 steps))
- Shutter Speed
- iAuto(4"-1/2000*) / Program Auto(30"-1/2000*) / Manual Exposure(Bulb, 30"-1/2000*) / Aperture Priority(30"-1/2000*) / Shutter Priority(30"-1/2000*). *At F8 or greater aperture value. Fastest limit at F2.4 is 1/1000.
- Electronic Shutter
- iAuto (4” - 1/32000) / Program Auto (30” - 1/32000) / Manual (30” - 1/32000) / Aperture Priority (30” - 1/32000) / Shutter Priority (30” - 1/32000)
- Image Control
- Contrast, Saturation, Sharpness, Creative Style, Color Space (sRGB/Adobe RGB), Quality (RAW/RAW & JPEG/Extra fine/Fine/Standard)
- Noise Reduction
- Long exposure NR: On / Off, available of shutter speeds longer than 1/3 sec. , high ISO NR: Normal / Low / Off , Multi Frame NR: Auto, ISO100-25600
- Dynamic Range Functions
- Off, Dynamic Range Optimizer (Auto/Level 1-5), Auto High Dynamic Range (Auto Exposure Difference, Exposure difference Level (1.0-6.0EV, 1.0EV step))
- Shooting Mode
- AUTO (Intelligent Auto/Superior Auto), Program Auto, Aperture Priority, Shutter Speed Priority, Manual Exposure, MR (Memory Recall) 1,2,3, Movie Mode (Program Auto, Aperture Priority, Shutter Speed Priority, Manual Exposure), HFR Mode (Program Auto, Aperture Priority, Shutter Speed Priority, Manual Exposure), Panorama, Scene Selection
- Scene Selection
- Portrait, Sports Action, Macro, Landscape, Sunset, Night Scene, Handheld Twilight, Night Portrait, Anti Motion Blur
- Continuous Shooting Speed (maximum) (with max. recording pixels)
- Speed Priority Continuous Shooting: approx. 14 fps, Continuous Shooting: approx. 5 fps
- 10 sec. / 5 sec. / 2 sec. / 3 or 5 consecutive shots with 10 sec. 5 sec. or 2 sec. delay selectable / Bracketing shots with 10 sec. 5 sec. or 2 sec. delay selectable
- Drive Modes
- Single, Continuous shooting, Speed priority continuous shooting, Self-timer, Self-timer (cont.), Cont.-bracketing, Single-bracketing, White balance bracketing, DRO bracketing
- Picture Effect
- [Still Image] Toy camera, Pop Colour, Posterization, Retro Photo, Soft High-key, Partial Colour, High Contrast Mono., Soft Focus, HDR Painting, Richtone Monochrome, Miniature, Watercolour, Illustration, [Movie] Toy camera, Pop Colour, Posterization, Retro Photo, Soft High-key, Partial Colour, High Contrast Mono.
- Creative Style
- Standard, Vivid, Neutral, Clear, Deep, Light, Portrait, Landscape, Sunset, Night Scene, Autumn Leaves, Black & White, Sepia, Style Box
- Picture Profile
- off/PP1-PP7(Black Level, Gamma(Movie, Still, Cine1-2, ITU709, ITU709 [800%], S-Log2), Black Gamma, Knee, Color Mode, Saturation, Color Phase, Color Depth, Detail, Copy, Reset)
- Number of Recognised Scenes
- [Still Image] Superior Auto: 44, Intelligent Auto: 33, [Movie] 44
- Flash Mode
- Auto / Flash On / Slow Synchro / Rear Sync. / Flash Off / Wireless (with optional compatible flash)
- Flash Range
- ISO Auto: Approx.1.0m to 10.8m (3.28 ft. to 35.43 ft.) (W) / Approx. 1.0m to 6.5m (3.28 ft. to 21.33 ft.) (T), ISO12800: up to Approx. 20.8m (68.24 ft.) (W) / Approx. 12.8m (41.99 ft.) (T)
- Compatible Recording Media
- Memory Stick Duo, Memory Stick PRO Duo, Memory Stick PRO Duo (High Speed), Memory Stick PRO-HG Duo, Memory Stick Micro, Memory Stick Micro (Mark2), SD Memory Card, SDHC Memory Card, SDXC Memory Card, microSD Memory Card, microSDHC Memory Card, microSDXC Memory Card
- Recording Format
- [Still Image]: JPEG (DCF Ver.2.0,Exif Ver.2.3, MPF Baseline compliant), RAW (Sony ARW 2.3 format), [Movie]: XAVC S, AVCHD format Ver.2.0 compatible, MP4
- Recording Format (Movie Audio)
- XAVC S: LPCM 2ch / AVCHD: Dolby Digital (AC-3) 2ch (Dolby Digital Stereo Creator) / MP4: MPEG-4 AAC-LC 2ch
- Colour Space (Still)
- sRGB / Adobe RGB
- Still Image Number of recorded pixels (Image Size)
- 16:9 mode: 17M (5,472×3,080) / 7.5M (3,648×2,056) / 4.2M (2,720×1,528)
- Movie Recording Mode (NTSC)
- AVCHD: 28M PS (1,920x1,080/60p) / 24M FX (1,920x1,080/60i) / 17M FH (1,920x1,080/60i) / 24M FX (1,920x1,080/24p) / 17M FH (1,920x1,080/24p), XAVC S 4K: 30p 100M (3,840x2,160/30p) / 30p 60M (3,840x2,160/30p) / 24p 100M (3,840x2,160/24p) / 24p 60M (3,840x2,160/24p), XAVC S HD: 60p 50M (1,920x1,080/60p) / 30p 50M (1,920x1,080/30p) / 24p 50M (1,920x1,080/24p) / 120p 100M (1,920x1,080/120p) / 120p 60M (1,920x1,080/120p), MP4: 28M (1,920x1,080/60p) / 16M (1,920x1,080/30p) / 6M (1,280x720/30p)
- Movie Recording Mode (PAL)
- AVCHD: 28M PS (1,920x1,080/50p) / 24M FX (1,920x1,080/50i) / 17M FH (1,920x1,080/50i) / 24M FX (1,920x1,080/25p) / 17M FH (1,920x1,080/25p), XAVC S 4K: 25p 100M (3,840x2,160/25p) / 25p 60M (3,840x2,160/25p), XAVC S HD: 50p 50M (1,920x1,080/50p) / 25p 50M (1,920x1,080/25p) / 100p 100M (1,920x1,080/100p) / 100p 60M (1,920x1,080/100p), MP4: 28M (1,920x1,080/50p) / 16M (1,920x1,080/25p) / 6M (1,280x720/25p),
- NTSC: XAVC S HD: 60p 50M (1,920x1,080/240fps), 60p 50M (1,920x1,080/480fps), 60p 50M (1,920x1,080/960fps) / 30p 50M (1,920x1,080/240fps), 30p 50M (1,920x1,080/480fps), 30p 50M (1,920x1,080/960fps) / 24p 50M (1,920x1,080/240fps), 24p 50M (1,920x1,080/480fps), 24p 50M (1,920x1,080/960fps)
Sensor Readout Number of Effective Pixels Quality Priority: 240fps / 250fps (1,824x1,026), 480fps / 500fps (1,676x566), 960fps / 1000fps (1,136x384) / Shoot Time Priority: 240fps / 250fps (1,676x566), 480fps / 500fps (1,136x384), 960fps / 1000fps (800x270), PAL: XAVC S HD: 50p 50M (1,920x1,080/250fps), 50p 50M (1,920x1,080/500fps), 50p 50M (1,920x1,080/1000fps) / 25p 50M (1,920x1,080/250fps), 25p 50M (1,920x1,080/500fps), 25p 50M (1,920x1,080/1000fps)
- Number of Recording Pixels (Image Size)
- 3:2 mode: 20M (5,472×3,648) / 10M (3,888×2,592) / 5M (2,736×1824), 4:3 mode: 18M (4,864×3,648) / 10M (3,648×2,736) / 5M (2,592×1,944) / VGA, 16:9 mode: 17M (5,472×3,080) / 7.5M (3,648×2,056) / 4.2M (2,720×1,528), 1:1 mode: 13M (3,648×3,648) / 6.5M (2,544×2,544) / 3.7M (1,920×1,920), Sweep Panorama: Wide (12,416×1,856/5,536×2,160), Standard (8,192×1,856/3,872×2,160)
- File Format
- sRGB / Adobe RGB
- Input and Output Terminals
- Multi / Micro USB Terminal, Hi-Speed USB (USB2.0), Micro HDMI,Microphone (3.5 mm Stereo minijack), Multi Interface Shoe, Headphones
- NFC forum Type 3 Tag compatible, One-touch remote, One-touch sharing
- Yes (IEEE802.11b/g/n (2.4GHz band))
- Power source
- DC7.2V (supplied battely) / DC5.0V (supplied AC adaptor)
- Battery System
- Rechargeable battery pack NP-FW50
- Power Consumption (Camera Mode)
- Approx. 2.3W with LCD monitor and approx. 2.6W with viewfinder (CIPA standard)
- USB Charge/USB Power Supply
- Yes (Shooting, Playback)
- BATTERY LIFE(STILL IMAGES)(CIPA)
- Still Images Monitor: Approx. 420 shots / Approx. 210min., Viewfinder: Approx. 370 shots / Approx. 185min. Movies (actual shooting) Monitor: Approx. 65 min., Viewfinder: Approx. 70 min. (In [MP4 28M] mode, max. continuous shooting time is approx. 20 min. and max. file size is 4GB.) Movies (continuous shooting) Monitor: Approx. 120 min., Viewfinder: Approx. 130 min. (In [MP4 28M] mode, max. continuous shooting time is approx. 20 min. and max. file size is 4GB.)
- Supplied Battery
- PlayMemories Camera Apps
- Shooting Functions
- Eye AF / Face Detection / Face Registration / Still Image Recording (during movie recording) / Smile shutter / Grid Line / Quick Navi / Digital Level Gauge (pitch and roll) / WB Bracket / DRO Bracketing / MF Assist / Peaking / Zebra / Marker Display / Audio Level Display / Audio Out Timing / Step Zoom/Quick Zoom / TC / UB / Photographer Name & Copyright / Set File Name/ ISO Auto Minimum Shutter Speed / PC Remote Control / Zoom Assist / Focus Hold
- Playback Functions
- BRAVIA Sync (Control for HDMI) / 9/25-frame index view / Auto Orientation / Slide Show / Forward / Rewind (Movie) / Delete / Protect / Motion Shot Video / Photo Capture
- Operating Temperature
- Approx. 0°C to 40°C (32F° to 104F°)
- Exif Print, PRINT Image Matching (PIM3)
Size & Weight
- Dimensions (W x H x D)
- 132.5 x 94.0 x 145.0mm, 132.5 x 94.0 x 127.4mm (from front of lens to monitor);5 1/4 x 3 3/4 x 5 3/4 in., 5 1/4 x 3 3/4 x 5 1/8 in. (from front of lens to monitor)
- WEIGHT (CIPA COMPLIANT)
- Approx. 1051g (Body Only) / Approx. 1095g (Battery and Memory Stick Duo are included), Approx. 2lb 5.1oz. (Body Only) / Approx. 2lb 6.7oz. (Battery and Memory Stick Duo are included)
What's In The Box
- Rechargeable Battery Pack NP-FW50
- Micro USB cable
- Shoulder strap
- Lens cap
- Shoe cap
- Lens hood
- Eyepiece Cup
- Instruction Manual
24-600mm F2.4-4 large-aperture optical zoom lens
The first 25x optical zoom lens in a RX series camera features 24-600mm extra-wide-angle to ultra-telephoto zoom range in a bright F2.4-4 lens; Super-ED glass, ED glass and aspherical lens elements to maintain excellent image resolution, contrast and quality; and nine-blade aperture unit for outstanding depiction of bokeh background.
Exmor RS™ approx. 20.1 effective mega pixels stacked CMOS image sensor
A large 1.0-type Exmor RS CMOS image sensor with approx. 20.1 effective megapixels achieves more captivating results, thanks to a stacked architecture that expands and speeds up signal processing, back illumination technology to increase light collection efficiency and reduce noise in shots taken at up to ISO 12800, and attached DRAM chip for faster large-volume output that in-camera 4K super slow motion recording requires.
4K movie recording
4K movies can be recorded with full pixel readout and no pixel binning, for the ultimate image resolution with less moiré and jaggies. A high-speed front-end LSI that supports image processing greatly reduces “rolling shutter” (diagonal skewing) distortion that is commonly seen in video footage of fast-moving subjects.
Fast Intelligent AF in just 0.09 sec.
Along with great zoom coverage up to 600mm, the RX10 III features 0.09-sec. high-speed AF. By assessing the subject even before the shutter button is pressed halfway, the system’s subject detection algorithm accurately predicts the proper point of focus, upon which the camera focuses as soon as the button is pressed.
Super slow motion up to ultra telephoto
It’s easy to create super slow motion movies. Turn the mode dial to HFR (High Frame Rate) mode. Choose among 960/1000fps, 480/500fps, and 240/250fps (NTSC/PAL, frames-per-second rates for shooting exceptionally clear, smooth close-up action at up to 40x the ordinary frame rate for movies, according to the speed at which the subject moves. In Quality Priority mode, image quality approaches Full HD quality at 240/250fps, and HD quality at 480/500fps.
Continuous shooting at up to approx. 14fps without blackout
High-speed readout of the image sensor’s approx. 20.1 effective megapixels of imaging data makes continuous shooting at a rate of up to about 14fps possible with reduced blackout. This makes it easier to shoot great moments and expressions at their height nearly instantaneously. High-precision automatic autofocus tracking is operational even during continuous shooting at up to 5fps.
Optical image stabilisation technology developed exclusively by Sony is especially valuable for handheld still and movie shooting, especially in low light or at the ultra-telephoto end of the zoom range up to 600mm. This system is equivalent to a 4.5-stop-faster shutter speed, and prevents camera blur to ensure smooth, stable framing and shooting. (Captions in the image- left: SteadyShot OFF, right: SteadyShot ON)
Anti-Distortion shutter for fast and silent shooting
The rolling shutter phenomenon distorts images of fast moving subjects. The RX10 III can suppress it when shooting at up to a shutter speed of 1/32000 sec.. Ensuring that you can capture sharp, undistorted images of sports such as tennis. Plus its electronic shutter can operate silently, allowing you to shoot concerts, wildlife, and other subjects without disturbing the environment. (Captions in the image – left: conventional rolling shutter, right: RX10 III)
BIONZ X™ image processing engine
To faithfully reproduce and fine-tune detail and texture, this image processor works with the lens and Exmor RS stacked-type image sensor to handle approx. 20.1 effective megapixels of data with great speed and precision. Diffraction reduction to maintain image clarity even at smaller aperture settings and area-specific noise reduction according to image area characteristics also help to maintain high image quality.
XGA OLED Tru-Finder™
With high magnification (0.70x), contrast and resolution, this electronic viewfinder displays great depth. The equivalent of approx. 2.35 million dots on display reproduce rich tones and colours even in dark areas, for realistic images that match the high quality of the final recording. ZEISS T* Coating significantly reduces surface reflection from the sun and other light sources.
Versatile, user-friendly, reliable operation
Lens manual rings for focus, zoom and aperture provide comfortable, adaptable control, especially as you look through the viewfinder. Multi Interface (MI) Shoe makes it easy to connect flash units, microphones and other accessories. Dust- and moisture-resistant sealant and construction of operating parts allow the camera to withstand rugged conditions.
When you lose track of a moving subject while framing (which often occurs in ultra-telephoto shooting), press and hold down the C (custom) button to which Zoom Assist is assigned to trigger Zoom Assist function’s automatic zoom-out. Find and frame up the subject again, then release the button, and the camera automatically zooms back in to the original focal length, so you can resume shooting the subject. (Captions in the image- left: Find and re-frame subject, right: Successfully re-framed)
Gain flexibility to make more expressive movies in post-production. S-Log2 gamma curves feature wide dynamic range (up to 1300%) to reduce whiteout and blackout in the colour grading process.
Gamma Display Assist
With this function, you can view while recording in S-Log gamma, converting S-Log2 into ITU709 (800%) gamma for monitoring images, or checking focus while enlarging an image on the LCD screen or viewfinder.
Clean HDMI Output
The camera supports not only uncompressed movie recording on external recording equipment — it also lets you output such high-quality movies for real-time viewing on an external monitor, so you can confirm focus and other details more clearly while recording in-camera.
Enhanced Zebra Assist
Simplify exposure monitoring, especially when shooting in S-Log gamma setting. Target a video signal brightness level from 0-109%, set a range between +10% and -10% of that value, and zebra pattern indicates areas with that level of exposure within that range. New minimum brightness level setting reliably warns you to avoid blown-out highlights.
Picture Profile menu supports professional-style changes of parameters such as Gamma Curve and Detail for basic contrast, colour adjustment, gradation of brightness, and image edging.
XAVC S/AVCHD movie formats
With high-bit-rate XAVC S format, which is based on the XAVC format that’s highly reputable among professionals, serious moviemakers can record high-quality 4K and Full HD movies with minimal compression noise at maximum bit rates of 100Mbps and 50Mbps, respectively. The RX10 III also offers you options to easily record, edit and share AVCHD format movies.
Customisable function settings
The custom (C) button allows you to set one of over 58 possible functions to adapt the camera’s capabilities to your shooting style. Assign a frequently used function or preferred setting to this button. Then, you can promptly call up that function or setting. Access to your selection will be available at your fingertip, for faster, more intuitive camera operation.
The sensor’s heightened processing speed enables the RX10 III to capture very precise still images without pixel binning while recording a movie. The result: high-quality images of up to 17MP resolution.
Capture stills from movies
You can select a decisive moment from a movie recording and save it as a picture, in the form of a highly detailed 8-megapixel still image file from a 4K movie. From Full HD footage, you can create a 2-megapixel still image file.
File Name Setting
The first three characters of the file name is now customisable on the camera. The file name starts with "DSC" by default, but you can change and register the three characters of your choice. This facilitates the photographers to manage the files easily especially when working with multiple cameras in assignments.
Even when capturing a subject partially turned away from the camera with a shallow depth of field, the face is sharply focused thanks to extremely accurate Eye AF. A green frame appears over the prioritised eye when focus has been achieved.
Lock on AF
Simply press the shutter button halfway to activate Lock-on AF 25. It automatically adjusts the AF target frame size to match the subject size, improve tracking performance, and take full advantage of every photo opportunity.
Remote Camera Control
Download and install a Remote Camera Control application on a computer in order to change camera settings, shoot images, and otherwise operate the camera from the computer via USB connection of the camera to the computer. The image data recorded on the camera will be stored directly.
One-touch remote/ One-touch sharing
One-touch remote makes your smartphone or tablet a viewfinder/remote control. One-touch sharing transfers photos/videos to your device for SNS sharing. Just install a PlayMemories Mobile™ app via Wi-Fi to your NFC-enabled Android device, then touch the device to the camera to connect them. No NFC? No problem, as new QR code compatibility can also pair the devices.
PlayMemories Camera Apps add personal touches
Sony's application download service lets you add new functions and capabilities to your camera. There are apps for photo and movie effects to enhance and express your creativity, and others to allow your smartphone to function as a camera's remote control, for example. Note: Services availability depends on region.
Capture One Express (for Sony)
Capture One Express (for Sony) is one of the world’s best RAW converters for rendering colours and details with incredible precision. The product contains flexible digital asset management, all essential adjustment tools and fast, responsive performance in one customisable integrated solution.* Please contact Phase One regarding all inquiries as to usage and support including functional compatibility of Capture One Express (for Sony).
Works with iMovie and Final Cut Pro X
This product is compatible with Final Cut Pro X and iMovie.