Follow these steps to access the BIOS on a VAIO® computer.
WARNING: Other than resetting the BIOS to the default values, making changes to the BIOS is an advanced procedure that can produce unintended results if not done properly. For instance, if you set a Machine Password and later forget that password, it will require advanced technical support and possibly service to regain access to the computer.
- Turn off the computer.
IMPORTANT: If you are having difficulty accessing the BIOS, or are doing so as a step in troubleshooting an issue, it is recommended that you remove all media or any peripheral devices connected to the computer before trying to access the BIOS.
- Restart the computer.
- At the black VAIO logo screen, press the F2 key.
If you are accessing the BIOS as a step in troubleshooting an issue, you may need to reset the BIOS to the default settings. While the exact steps will vary slightly based on the version of the BIOS installed on the computer, these general steps will allow you to reset the BIOS to the factory default values:
- In the Setup Utility window, use the arrow key to select Exit.
- At the Exit screen, press the down arrow key to select Get Default Values, and then press the Enter key.
- At the Get Default Values prompt, use the arrow keys to select Yes, and then press the Enter key.
- At the Exit screen, with Exit Setup selected, press the Enter key.
- At the Exit prompt, use the arrow keys to select Yes, and then press the Enter key.
- The computer will restart.