This information is for the following models:
About this download
Benefits and improvements from the latest updateThe following features/issues will be added, improved or resolved after updating to Android™ 8.0 Oreo™:
- Introduces a new Home screen menu
- Relocated “On Timer” icon (top right-hand side) on the home screen menu
- Introduces Google Tours (tutorial)
- Introduces a redesigned Initial Setup menu
- Introduces a redesigned Content Bar or TV Menu Bar
- Introduces software update benefits list (preview window)
- Introduces Accessibility Shortcut (On/Off switch):
- Introduces new keyboard layout and functionality
- Introduces the option to launch App View/Sony Select directly from the remote control (using the APPS button)
- Improved Assistant search function for broadcast content
- Improved country and region settings: descriptions have been added to some languages in the Language settings menu
- Improved user experience for the Video, Music and Photo apps
- Improved Set-top box key support (Guide/Title List key)
- Resolves picture noise (dark solarisation) in Netflix Dolby Vision content
- Improves behaviour of externally connected devices when TV is in standby
- Resolves Wi-Fi connection issue after software update
- PlayMemories Online
- IPv6 setup (ON/OFF) setting
- Wi-Fi Direct standby mode
- For more information on the features and improvements, please go to: https://www.sony.net/androidtv-updateTO/
- Android is a trademark of Google LLC; Oreo is a trademark of Mondelez International, Inc. group.
Previous Benefits and Improvements
The following benefits and improvements are also included in this update.
- Improved compatibility with the Home Theatre Control app
- Improves Hybrid Log Gamma (HLG) picture brightness for Vivid mode
- Improves Lip Sync for X78F, X85F and X83F series
- Dolby Vision content is supported for video streaming apps/services installed on the TV such as Amazon Prime Video and Netflix*
- Dolby Vision support for HDMI*
*Dolby Vision is only available for selected Sony TVs (X90xxF and A8F Series). To enjoy Dolby Vision content, the video streaming app/service must support Dolby Vision. For more information, please contact the app/service provider. In addition, after the Sony TV receives the software update, devices with Dolby Vision playback (such streaming media players and UHD Blu-ray players) that are connected to the Sony TV by HDMI will also require a software update to support Dolby Vision playback through the device. For more information on the timing of an update to a particular player, please contact the player’s manufacturer.
- Distribution of Amazon Video app from Google Play store
- Improves picture quality of HDR content (Only applicable for A8F Series)
- Amazon Video logo change
- Introduces the ability to add new apps to "My Apps" on the TV menu bar
- Resolve an issue where "Set up your TV with Android" gets stuck in "Receiving account and Internet information" screen
- Remove Virtual Tuner from TV Menu Bar
- Only for use with TV sold in Asia Pacific. Not all models are sold in all countries.
Check the software version
Your software may already be up to date. If you're not sure, it's easy to check which software version you have - follow these instructions:
- Press the [HELP] button on the remote.
- The firmware version number is displayed on the screen.
 Software version
If the version number is "PKG6.6520.xxxx" or higher, you already have the most recent software version and updating is not required.
There are 2 ways to update the firmware on your BRAVIA TV:
- Using the "Automatic software download" function (easy)
- Using a USB storage device
Using the "Automatic software download" function (easy):Sony provides software updates in order to enhance functionalities and provide users with the latest TV experience. The easiest way to receive software updates is to use the "Automatic software download". This setting is enabled by default.
If you have enabled "Automatic software download" below, you will automatically receive a notification to update your TV.
- Press the [HELP] button on the remote.
- Select [System software update].
- Select [Automatic software download].
The new firmware update will be rolling out gradually to all Internet-connected TVs over the weeks following its release.
IMPORTANT: The following "System Requirements," "File Info," "Download" and "Install," sections relate to the USB storage device update procedure. You can ignore them if you completed the update using the "Automatic software download" feature.
For other FAQs about Troubleshooting, please see the "Questions and Answers" on the Sony Support Site.
Using a USB storage device:
You can also update the software by using a USB storage device. If an Internet connection is not set up on your TV, or you don’t want to wait for the update via "Automatic software download" function, try to download and update using a USB storage device as instructed below.
What You Need
- a computer with access to the Internet
- a USB storage device
- Firmware update to v6.6520 for TV
Zip File Name
- 1 867 916 596 bytes
- Read the instructions carefully or you could end up causing the TV to become unresponsive or require a repair.
- Do not turn the off TV - or disconnect it from the power - while it's updating.
- Do not press any buttons, except the ones mentioned in the instructions.
- Stop any recording before you start with the firmware update. (USB HDD recording models only)
How to download the Updater:
Before you install the update, you'll need to download it from the Internet and save it to a USB storage device.
- Download the update file to your PC.
- Click the [Download] button on the top of this page, then read and accept the terms and conditions.
- Click the [Download] button on the bottom of the page to download the update file on your PC.
- Verify the downloaded file name and size.
- Go to the directory where the file was downloaded.
- Verify that the size of the "sony_dtvota_2016_1606520100_paa_auth.zip" file is "1 867 916 596" bytes.
NOTE: For Windows PC, verify the "Size" instead of "Size on disk" on the Properties screen.
- Extract the downloaded file.
After you extracted the downloaded file, you will find the file "sony_dtv0FA60A0AA0AA_00004200_16065201000252.pkg".
- Insert the USB storage device into your PC.
- Copy or drag and drop the file "sony_dtv0FA60A0AA0AA_00004200_16065201000252.pkg" to the root directory of your USB device.
NOTE: "The root directory" is the first or top-most directory of the device, which contains all the other folders.
- Remove the USB storage device from your computer and continue to the next section.
Step 1: Install the update
Once you've downloaded the update file and prepared your USB device, you can install it on your TV. The process can take up to 15-30 minutes and during the installation your TV will turn off before turning itself back on. Please just follow the simple steps below:
- Turn on the TV.
- Make sure that no USB devices are inserted into your TV.
- Insert your USB storage device containing the file "sony_dtv0FA60A0AA0AA_00004200_16065201000252.pkg" into a USB port of the TV set.
NOTE: Any USB slot can be used if the TV has multiple USB ports.
- Once the USB storage device has been detected, a series of different messages will appear on the TV set. Follow the on-screen instructions.
NOTE： If the messages do not appear automatically, try turning the TV off and on with the remote control.
- When the file is finished copying from the USB storage device, the update process will begin, the POWER indicator on the TV will begin flashing white, and the update progress screen is displayed on the TV.
- After several minutes, the TV will turn off and then turn back on to complete the update.
WARNING: During the software installation process, please do not:
- Remove the USB device
- Turn off the TV
- Disconnect the TV from the power supply
- When the software update is complete, a message appears on the TV indicating the software update is complete.
- Carefully remove the USB device from the USB slot.
Step 2: Check the update was successfulCheck the current software version to confirm that the update has successfully been installed.
- If the version number is "PKG6.6520.xxxx" or higher, the software update was successful.
- If the version number isn't "PKG6.6520.xxxx" or higher, download and install the update again.
Questions & Answers
Possible Issue During the Update
Need more information? See our FAQs about updating the software over the Internet:
- Will my personal settings be deleted after the update?
No, all your personal settings will be kept.
- Can I install an older version of the software?
No. To ensure that your TV remains at optimum performance, the installation of an older software version is not possible. The latest software version contains all the benefits and improvements of previous versions.
- Is it normal for the TV to turn off during the update process?
It is normal for the TV to restart during the update process. It will take a longer time for the TV to restart while installing the new software.
What to do if you have problems updating your TV firmware using the Internet.
If either message "An error occurred during the software update" or "Software cannot be updated using this USB device" is displayed on the TV screen, please proceed to the following procedures for a possible solution:
- Make sure your USB storage device is in good working order. If it is, try downloading the update file again.
- Turn off the TV by pressing the [POWER] button on the TV set.
- Press the [POWER] button again, and proceed with the installation process again.
If the message "No newer version of the TV software was found" is displayed on the TV front panel display, your TV already has newest software version installed, so you do not need to update it.
For other FAQs about Troubleshooting, please see the "Questions and Answers" section on the Sony Support Site.