About the Contest
Sony recently released a major firmware update (version 3.0) for the α7R III and α7 III which includes real time animal eye auto-focus.
To celebrate this new feature, Sony is running a competition to showcase the best of pet portrait photography taken on a Sony Alpha camera.
"If you have ever tried to keep a Flexible Spot AF Area on the eye of a moving animal you, like me, will welcome Sony's new Animal Eye AF feature that will become a firm favourite for anyone who shoots wildlife or just loves to capture portraits of their family pets. Your pets don’t even have to stay still for the magic to happen."- Mark Galer, Sony Digital Imaging Ambassador.
To enter the competition simply share your photos captured on any Sony Alpha camera body to Instagram with the required hashtags listed below. A total of five winners will be rewarded at the end of the competition period with a $1,000 Sony Store online gift voucher for redemption on Sony camera gear.
All five (5) winning photos will also be entered into the Global Alpha Animal Portrait competition for the chance to win a Sony α9 camera kit.
How to Enter
Post your photos on Instagram with the following hashtags to take part in the contest.
- #modelname (e.g. #A7RM3)
e.g. #SonyAlphaAnimalPortrait #SonyAlphaANZ #A7RM3
15 May 2019, 9:00AM AEST (Wednesday)
17 July 2019, 11:59PM AEST (Wednesday)
Step 1 Participation in the Contest
Step 2 Contact of Prize Winners
Prize winners within Australia and New Zealand will be contacted by @sonyaustralia via Instagram direct message by 22nd July 2019. Prize winners will be required to send in their photos with EXIF data intact within the designated period for validation in order to claim their prize.
If no response is received within seven (7) days of being contacted, the participant is deemed to have withdrawn from the contest. Please be informed that only prize winners will be contacted.
Step 3 Announcement of Prize Winners
The five (5) winning photos from Australia and New Zealand may also be shared via the @Sony.Alpha_photocontest Instagram account and other Sony Group Social Media accounts.
Step 4 Announcement of Global Winners
Global winners will be selected among winners from each country, and announced in end-September 2019 on the @Sony.Alpha_photocontest, @sonyaustralia and @sonynz Instagram accounts, and also on Sony group social media accounts and websites.
Step 5 Dispatch of Prizes
Both regional winners and global winners will be notified by the same method as in STEP 2, and will be requested to provide their contact details, including address, to facilitate the dispatch of prizes.
Awards and Prizes
Prizes for Australian and New Zealand Winners
The five (5) winners from Australia and New Zealand will each receive a $1000 Sony Store Online Voucher (redeemable at https://store.sony.com.au/ or https://store.sony.co.nz/ depending on the winner’s place of residence), valid for use on any Sony camera and/or Sony camera accessories.
Prizes for Global Winners
Plus choice of one of the following lenses:
Terms and Conditions of Sony Alpha Portrait Instagram Photo Contest
- Information on how to enter and prizes form part of these Conditions of Entry. Entry into this promotion (Promotion) is deemed acceptance of these Conditions of Entry by each entrant. Any further entry instructions given by the Promoter and posted on this webpage, or the @sonyaustralia and @sonynz Instagram and Facebook accounts, will form part of the Promotion rules.
- The Promoter is Sony Australia Limited, ABN 59 001 215 354, of 165 Walker Street, North Sydney, NSW, 2060 (Promoter).
- All dollar values in these Conditions of Entry refer to Australian dollars.
- Promotion commences at 9:00AM (AEST) on Wednesday 15 May, 2019 and closes at 11:59PM (AEST) on Wednesday 17 July, 2019 (Promotional Period).
Eligibility to Enter
- Entry is open to residents of Australia and New Zealand only, 18 years or older (Entrant). Directors, management, employees and sponsored photographers of the Promoter and agencies, retailers and suppliers associated with this Promotion and the immediate family members of these people are ineligible to enter.
How to enter
- To enter the Promotion, Entrants must complete the following steps:
- Follow the @sonyaustralia and @sony.alpha_photocontest Instagram account
- Upload, to your Instagram account, a photograph taken by you personally using a Sony Alpha camera body, tag @sonyaustralia, and add the following hashtags:
- #model name (e.g. #A7RM3, #A9, #A6400)
Prizes and Judging
- Each winner will receive a SONY online store voucher (redeemable at https://store.sony.com.au/ or https://store.sony.co.nz/ depending on the winner’s place of residence), valued at $1000.00 (AUD). The voucher is valid for 12 months from issue and can only be used on Sony cameras and camera accessories. Note, you must spend $1,000 or more in one transaction (Prize).
- The Promoter will review all eligible entries submitted through Instagram during the Promotion Period and the photos will be judged, at the Promoter's sole discretion, on the overall composition and creativity/originality of the photo. A shortlist of entries will be selected by the Promoter, on the basis of the preceding criteria, and the final decision on winning entries will be made by representatives of the Promoter. This is a game of skill and chance plays no part in determining the winner. Note that although entrants can enter an unlimited number of photos (please refer to Clause 9 above), entrants will only be eligible to win one Prize during the Promotional Period.
- Judging will take place at the end of the Promotional Period with five (5) Prizes to be awarded. Judging will take place at the office of Sony Australia Limited, 165 Walker Street, North Sydney, NSW, 2060. During the judging date, from among all eligible entries received up to that date, the best valid entry as determined by the judge/s, in accordance with the criteria outlined in Clause 13, will be awarded the Prize. Participants who have submitted potentially winning entries will be contacted directly, from the @sonyaustralia Instagram account, and will be required to submit the EXIF data relating to the selected photo to demonstrate compliance with the entry requirements. These participants will also be asked to provide a High Resolution file of their entry (images under 12 megapixels, or less than 4000px on longest side are unlikely to be accepted as high resolution). If the individual is unable to provide a High Resolution photo, their entry will be deemed invalid. The Promoter will subsequently follow up with potential winners, with instructions on how to claim the prize. If a potential winner does not respond and comply with the instructions outlined in the initial Instagram Direct message within seven (7) days, or if the data reveals that the photo does not comply with these terms and conditions, the entrant’s entry will be deemed invalid, the prize forfeited and the Promoter reserves the right to distribute the prize to the next best valid entry. A maximum of five (5) alternate winners will be contacted. No compensation is payable upon an entry being deemed invalid and Prize forfeited. Participants can only win once during the Promotional Period.
- The relevant dates for judging and contacting winners within the Promotional Period are set out below:
Photos Submitted By
Winners Reply with Contact, and EXIF Details and High Resolution Photo By
Wednesday, 17 July 2019, 11:59 PM AEST
Thursday, 18 July 2019, 9:00 AM AEST
Monday, 22 July 2019
Monday, 29 July 2019, 11:59PM AEST
- The Promoter's decision in relation to any aspect of the Promotion is final and binding on every Entrant, and no correspondence will be entered into. Prizes are not transferable or exchangeable and cannot be taken as cash.
- The Promoter is not responsible for any costs associated with winning a Prize unless stated in these terms and conditions.
- Each Prize will be dispatched to the winner within 90 working days of receipt of their postal address details. Prize/s will be delivered to Australian and New Zealand addresses only. Prizes will be delivered via Australia Post Express Post or similar service in New Zealand.
- The names of the winners will be published on the @sonyaustralia and @sonynz Instagram and Facebook accounts and may also be shared via the @sony.alpha_photocontest Instagram account and other Sony Group Social Media accounts, upon the winner/s accepting their prize.
- If a Prize, or element of a Prize, is unavailable for any reason, the Promoter reserves the right to substitute another Prize of equal or greater value for that Prize, or element of it. No compensation is payable if a winner cannot receive any aspect of a Prize for any reason.
- All winning entries will automatically be entered into a further global prize contest (Global Contest) alongside winners from contests in other regions, with a chance to win the following additional prizes:
Global Contest prize (awarded to 5 winners):
Choice of one of the following lenses
The aforementioned Global Prizes are subject to the same terms and conditions outlined in Clause 1 to 39.
- The Global Contest will be judged by a panel of judges set up by Sony Corporation in Japan, including at least one independent judge, and winning entries will be selected based on the overall composition and creativity/originality of the photo.
- Global Contest winners will be contacted using Instagram Direct Messaging, from the @sony.alpha_photocontestInstagram account and the winning Entrants' names will be announced on the @sony.alpha_photocontest, @sonyaustralia and @sonynz Instagram and Facebook accounts by late September 2019.
- Acceptance of prizes shall constitute consent on the winner's part to allow the use of the winner's name, image and/or likeness by the Promoter for editorial, advertising, promotional, marketing and/or other purposes without further compensation except where prohibited by law. Other than notification of winners, no enquiries will be accepted regarding entries and selection of winners.
- By entering photos into the Promotion, the participant warrants that: (1) the photos comply fully with the contest rules and these terms and conditions; (2) all details provided in their entry are true and correct and that the entry is their own original creation and work and does not infringe the rights (including copyright) of any other person; (3) original photos are taken by the participant using a Sony Alpha series camera; (4) the photos do not infringe the rights of any third party and that permission has been obtained to use the image of any person included in any submitted photos. The participant acknowledges that the submission of images from third party sources (including, for example, other websites or blogs) is prohibited and use of such photos without permission may constitute infringement of copyright. Each Entrant agrees to indemnify the Promoter in relation to any loss or damage resulting from any breach of warranty.
- Entries may be excluded or prizes rescinded if Sony reasonably determines that there has been an infringement of the entry requirements, these terms and conditions or public order and morality.
- The Promoter accepts no responsibility for any tax implications that may arise from winning a Prize. Independent financial advice should be sought.
- Any costs associated with entering remain the responsibility of each Entrant and are dependent on the internet service provider used.
- Entries must be received during the Promotional Period. Entries will be deemed to be received at the time of receipt by the Promoter and not at the time of transmission by the Entrant. No responsibility is accepted for late, lost, incomplete, incorrectly submitted, corrupted or misdirected Entries whether due to error, omission, alteration, tampering, deletion, theft, destruction, transmission interruption, communications failure or otherwise. Any entry that contains swearing, defamatory comments, inappropriate, misleading or offensive language will, at the judges' discretion, be deemed to be ineligible and removed from Sony Australia and/or New Zealand Facebook page/s.
- All entries remain the property of the Entrant. By submitting photographs and/or written material as part of this Promotion, Entrants acknowledge and agree that the Promoter and its sub-licensees may, without compensation, use, reproduce and publish any entry (including pictures and written material as part of any entry, and higher resolution versions of those pictures, whether or not submitted as part of an entry) in any media (including on the Sony Australia Facebook page www.facebook.com/sonyaustralia, the Sony Australia Instagram page www.instagram.com/sonyaustralia/, the Sony Australia website www.sony.com.au (and respective Sony New Zealand pages) and/or on in-store displays, and including in combination (or in a montage) with other entries or pictures) for the purpose of: (a) advertising, promoting, marketing or publicising this Promotion; or (b) any future promotional, advertising, marketing and/or publicity activities for similar promotions (in each case, from the commencement of the Promotional Period until the date that is 36 months after the announcement of the Prize winners for this Promotion). The Promoter may use the name and photograph of the Prize winners for promotional purposes without compensation, except where a Prize winner advises the Promoter otherwise when accepting the Prize.
- The Promoter is not responsible for any problems or technical malfunction of any telephone network or lines, computer on-line systems, computer equipment, software, technical problems or traffic congestion on the Internet or at any web site, or any combination thereof, including any injury or damage to participants or any other person's computer related to or resulting from participation in or down-loading any materials in this Promotion. If the Promotion is not capable of being conducted due to circumstances beyond the Promoter's control, including due to any technical or communications problems, the Promoter reserves the right to amend, suspend or cancel the Promotion.
- The Promoter reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to verify the validity of entries and Entrants (including an Entrant's identity, age and place of residence) and reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to disqualify any Entrant who the Promoter believes has breached any of these Conditions of Entry, tampered with the entry process or engaged in any other improper misconduct calculated to jeopardise fair and proper conduct of the Promotion.
- Nothing in these Conditions of Entry limits, excludes or modifies or purports to limit, exclude or modify the statutory consumer guarantees set out in the Australian Consumer Law of the Competition and Consumer Act 2010 (Cth), as well as any other implied warranties under the Australian Securities and Investments Commission Act 2001 (Cth) or similar consumer protection laws in the State and Territories or Australia, or, where relevant, the statutory consumer guarantees set out in the Consumer Guarantees Act 1993 and Fair Trading Act 1986 in New Zealand (Non-Excludable Guarantees).
- Except for any liability that cannot by law be excluded, including the Non-Excludable Guarantees, the Promoter (including its respective officers, employees and agents) is not responsible for and excludes all liability (including negligence) including, but not limited to, in relation to any personal injury; or any loss or damage (including loss of opportunity); whether direct, indirect, special or consequential, arising in any way out of: (a) any technical difficulties or equipment malfunction (whether or not under the Promoter's control); (b) any theft, unauthorised access or third party interference; (c) any Entry that is late, lost, altered, damaged or misdirected (whether or not after their receipt by the Promoter) due to any reason beyond the reasonable control of the Promoter; (d) any tax liability incurred by an Entrant; (e) taking/use of a Prize or (f) arising in any way out of the Promotion.
- Without limiting the previous paragraphs, the Promoter and its associated agencies and companies will not be liable for any damage in transit to Prizes.
- All promotions administered or communicated via Facebook and Instagram are not sponsored, endorsed, administered by or associated with Facebook and Instagram. Facebook and Instagram membership and the use of Facebook and Instagram generally, are subject to the Facebook and Instagram prevailing terms and conditions of use available at www.facebook.com and www.instagram.com. Any questions, comments or complaints about this Promotion must be directed to the Promoter and not to Facebook or Instagram.