VAIO Care 7 can be used to restore the computer to the original factory software configuration.
WARNING: All data, settings, and programs added to the computer will be deleted. During this procedure you will have a chance to back up your data. Sony does not guarantee your personal data can be backed up and restored properly.
- This model does not require Recovery Discs. Recovery data is included on a special partition of the hard drive. That said, it is highly recommended to create a set of Recovery Discs. Alternatively, you can purchase a set of Recovery Discs from Sony Support.
- If the operating system will not start and no other troubleshooting can be performed, a system recovery can be performed by starting the computer and pressing the F10 key when the VAIO logo is shown, or by pressing the ASSIST key when the VAIO is switched off.
Note: For VAIO computers sold as of Summer 2012, the F10 option is disabled, and only the Assist key option still works.
- It is recommended to connect the AC adapter to the computer so power is not interrupted.
- It is recommended to disconnect all external devices, such as printers, network cables, cameras, external hard drives or flash drives.
Follow the procedures listed below to run a system recovery:
- Close all open programs.
- Click the Start button and then click All Programs.
- In the All Programs menu, click VAIO Care folder and then click VAIO Care.
Note: If prompted for an administrator password or a User Account Control prompt is displayed, type the appropriate password, or click Yes.
- In the VAIO Care window, click Advanced Tools.
- Under Advanced Tools, click Restore and Recovery.
- In the Recovery window, click Recover computer.
- A confirmation window will pop up, click the Yes button.
Note: The computer will restart.
- Depending on which country specific model you purchased, a language choice may be displayed. Choose your language and click OK.
- In the VAIO Care Rescue window, click Start recovery wizard.
- In the Do you need to rescue your data? window, click Yes, I'd like to start rescue now.
Note: If you do not have any data on your computer that you need to back up, click the Skip Rescue button and proceed to step 15.
- Connect an external storage device to the computer, such as a USB hard drive or thumb drive.
- In the Select Rescue type window, click Easy rescue or Custom Rescue.
- Easy Rescue backs up the entire hard drive content and will therefore require more storage space and time to complete the backup.
- Custom Rescue allows you to manually select the user folders to be rescued.
- The software will automatically detect your data.
- Click to select the drive where you would like to back up your data and then click the Next button.
- This screen displays the amount of disc space required and the amount of free space on the external drive.
- If your drive is not listed, make sure it is properly connected to your VAIO computer and - if applicable - to it's power supply. If it is still not detected, check in the drive's manual or support website if you need to install drivers for it.
- In the Confirm options and start rescue window, click the Start Rescue button.
Note: A progress window will show the status of the backup.
- In the Rescue has completed successfully window, click Proceed with recovery.
Note: Choose Select another drive to rescue instead, if applicable.
- In the "Are you sure you want to start recovery?" window, click to select Yes, I'm sure and then click the Start Recovery button.
Note: A status window is displayed indicating the progress of the different applications. No action is required. This process may take up to 2 hours and the computer may restart several times.
- In the Recovery complete window, click the Restart button.
Note: The computer will restart.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to set up the operating system and complete the system recovery.