Our Android TV™/Google TV™ line-up supports voice recognition functionality. This feature is called “voice search” and allows you to input commands into the TV using your voice. You can view a demonstration of the voice search function by clicking on this voice search video.
NOTE: If your TV has Google Assistant built-in, you can ask Google Assistant for help. Whether the TV supports Google Assistant varies depending on your region or language. For details, refer to the following article: Supported countries/regions/languages and how to use Google Assistant
Before you start
You will need to pair the remote control to your TV before it will work. The pairing method depends on the type of your remote control.
- Your TV requires an Internet connection to use voice search.
- For models released in 2015, refer to the following article: How to pair the Touchpad Remote Control with the TV
- For models released in 2016 or later, follow the steps below:
- Open the Settings screen. How to access Settings
- The next steps will depend on your TV menu options:
- Select Remotes & Accessories — Voice Remote Control or Remote Control — Activate button or Connect via Bluetooth. (For Android™ 9 or later)
- Select Voice Remote Control or Remote Control — Activate button or Connect via Bluetooth. (For Android 8.0 or earlier)
- Follow the onscreen instructions.
Perform voice search
Once this has been completed, follow the steps below to use the voice search function.
- On your remote control, press the microphone button. You will then be taken directly to the voice search screen.
- Touchpad Remote Control for models released in 2015
- Remote control for models released in 2016 or later
NOTE: The position of the microphone button may vary, depending on your region or model.
- The LED on the remote control will light up showing that the voice search function has been activated; then speak into the built in microphone.
NOTE: If your voice is not being recognized, refer to the FAQ below.
Voice Commands do not work on my remote control.
Sample search phrases
Voice search allows you to the following options:
- Romantic comedies
- Oscar winners
A list of relevant content and apps will appear on-screen.
- Who is the president of Italy?
- What time is it in London?
- What is 24,000 divided by 7?
The answer will appear on-screen.
- HDMI 1
- Open YouTube™
The following input/app will be activated.
When you press the microphone button on your Remote Control or activate it through the voice search icon, the feature will only stay on for a few moments before automatically switching off. You can tell when the voice search option is activated as the microphone icon or your screen will be red (for record), and the LED on your remote will be on.
Voice search does not support web browsing. It specifically aggregates content from YouTube and supplied in the Google Play Store. The search also includes apps which have some affiliation with Google. You can view/adapt the content linked to voice search by using one of the following menu paths:
- HOME — Settings — Device Preferences — Search.
- HOME — Settings — Search in the System Preferences.